What Are The Five Most Common Garage Door Problems?
There are dozens of problems that you could experience with your garage door, but there are some issues that are much more common than others. Your garage door endures a lot through daily use, so you can expect it to need repairs on occasion. Here are five of the most common garage door problems that you are likely to encounter.
- The garage door opener stops working – If the garage door opener is either drive-screw or chain operated, it may be fixed with some lubricant because of friction. You should keep garage door spray lubricant or silicone-based lubricant on hand.
- Unexplainable grinding noise – This could be caused by squeaky door sections, bad parts, or loose hardware. Track down the squeaky part, inspect it, and apply the proper kind of lubricant.
- Weather sealant that is cracked or broken – The weather sealant reduces street noise, keeps out water, and seals any air leaks. If the sealant breaks, or if there are seams and cracks, you will need to replace it. Remove all the old sealant then install the new sealant.
- Gaps or cracks – While these are common, you do not want them to widen or worsen. You want to do what you can to eliminate the cracks or gaps. Get a sealant or waterproof filler so you can fill in the cracks.
- Garage door slightly opens then closes immediately – This is a sign of the springs at the top of the door require replacement. If you have replaced the springs within three years, you will probably just need to replace the springs that are broken.
Repairing a garage door takes skill and experience. Do not attempt to repair the problem as it could pose a safety hazard and you could end up suffering injuries. Repairs such as springs replacement requires special tools and training.
Garage door problems require immediate attention because they can be dangerous if they are not properly fixed. If you are experiencing any garage door issues, call D Bar Garage to have the problem promptly addressed. D Bar Garage also offers routine maintenance services to help extend the lifespan of your garage door.